Friday, November 30, 2012

What ho!



Greetings, all! Marlowe here! Quite a nice place this is, isn’t? All fancy-like and everything. I believe this is the part where I introduce myself. Right, then. Here goes!

I had a bit of a rough and tumble childhood. You see, I spent my early life on the streets learning to fend for myself. I had been making my way just fine, when one day I got myself into a bit of trouble. I didn’t like the way this one bush was looking at me so I decided to teach it some manners. I gave it a pretty good thrashing but as I was just a mite of a thing, I’m afraid it eventually got the better of me. It had me pinned to the ground and I was hollering for assistance when some bloke appears and extricates me from my predicament. I was quite grateful to him and told him so. I must’ve made quite an impression because next thing I know, I’m on my way to a new home. Quite an unexpected turn of events, I’ll say! I’ll admit I was a bit trepidatous at first, which is only to be expected when one goes from tangling with shrubbery one moment to being whisked away in a fancy automobile the next. But I’ve always been the adventurous sort, so I decided to see how things fell out.

The trip was a rather long one so I had a chance to get to know my rescuer. He told me his name was Jason and he struck me as a rather decent fellow, although a bit bear-like in appearance. Once we arrived at our destination, I met his wife, Jennifer, (who is not at all bear-like, by the by) and I learned that she had a lovely room all fixed up for me. I had a bite to eat and then she insisted on giving me a bath. I’ll admit that the bush had left me looking a bit bedraggled, but a bath?! Honestly! As if I wouldn’t have gotten myself sorted out eventually! She was insistent, however, and as I didn’t want to offend my hosts I complied. Grudgingly.

After a good night’s sleep and a hearty breakfast, I began to explore my surroundings. I quickly discovered that despite the bath incident, Jennifer has her good points. In addition to providing me with food and water, she also makes sure I have a supply of toys on hand and warm place to sleep for my afternoon naps. After I had a chance to orient myself, I met the other members of the household: Dante and Edmund. Dante’s a bit stand-offish but I’m beginning to bring him around. Edmund, however, is always up for a tussle or game of chase. They all did their best to help me settle in and it wasn’t long before I felt right at home. All in all, my change in situation has most certainly been for the better. I’ve been hearing all about the family’s adventures and can’t wait to join them on the next one!


But in the meantime, I think I'll enjoy my nap.

No comments: